Structural Engineer (ICE or IStructE)
SDC has a new and exciting opportunity for a Chartered Structural Engineer to join the Design team at our Head Office in Bedford. This is a unique opportunity to hold a strategic role for a main contractor working on a diverse range of building projects from £5M to £70M.
As well as a competitive salary and package, we offer ongoing support and development and access to work on some of the region’s most prestigious projects.
The role spans the tender stage through to project completion, where the successful candidate will advise on resolving structural design problems, working as part of the wider tender/project team.
Design and Investigation:
- Scrutinising the proposed design of the structures and reviewing alternatives to make sure the best solution is offered to the Client.
- Liaising with the bid and project teams to solve structural problems during the design process.
- Explore a range of structural solutions for projects, working with our external consultants to arrive at the best structural design.
- Reviewing site investigations and soils reports and advise on ground and foundations strategies for the project.
- Advise of Temporary Works solutions for projects, working closely with the Temporary Works Designers to arrive at the best and most cost effective solution on a scheme.
Communication and Management:
- Liaise with internal and external colleagues to coordinate design development, both technically and with commercial awareness.
- Assist and liaise with external consultants and statutory bodies where required.
- Work closely with the procurement team to organise delivery of materials and equipment, in line with the project procurement strategy.
This is a strategic role which requires a ‘problem solver’ with robust experience of structural design in the industrial, commercial, education, pharmaceutical and leisure sectors.
Skills and Experience
- Have excellent working knowledge of UK Building Regulations and Engineering Design Codes of Practice.
- Can demonstrate a breadth of experience working on a variety of structures, including RC Frame and Steel frame.
- Will have the ability to use current design and analysis packages.
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Member or Associate to ICE